Need Relief From Arthritis?
One of the main benefit of acupuncture treatment for arthritis is pain relief.
Relief is achieved in several ways:
- Endorphin production which inhibits pain perception.
- Blocking of pain signals to the brain.
- Reducing swelling and Inflammation
- Deactivation of trigger points (frequently found around arthritic joints. Tender, extremely reactive areas often responsible for chronic pain.)
- Help maintain surrounding muscle function
Read this study on Arthritis.org demonstrating effectiveness of acupuncture for arthritis (opens new window)
Does It Work And What Results Can I Expect?
- Usually minimum of 6 treatments needed.
- 80% of patients respond within 3 treatments, 20-70% on 1st
- 20% of patients see no response.
Positive effect on symptoms in 3 primary types of arthritis:
Rheumatoid Arthritis – inflammation (swelling, heat, redness with pain). Inflammation varies based on stress levels and acupuncture has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Osteoarthritis – acupuncture studies show reduction in calcium deposited as a result of cartilage wear. Once beyond certain level of deterioration, acupuncture no longer effective in reversing the situation but will reduce pain.
Gouty arthritis – pain relief is main treatment. Gouty arthritis comes and goes based on stress and diet. Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture help with both of these areas.