Acupuncture Shows Promise in Improving Rates of Pregnancy Following IVF.
Acupuncture has been an integral part of Eastern health care system for thousands of years but has only developed in popularity in the West in recent years. Acupuncture has been traditionally used in China to treat infertility since 475 BC. But it has been recent research into the more precise physiological effects of acupuncture on the reproductive system and its effect on the IVF treatment outcomes that has pushed acupuncture the front as an IVF Support.
A review of seven clinical trials published in the British Medical Journal, of acupuncture given with embryo transfer in women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF) suggests that acupuncture may improve rates of pregnancy. (Manheimer E, Zhang G, Udoff L, et al. Effect of acupuncture on rates of pregnancy and live birth among women undergoing in vitro fertilization: systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal. February 2008.)
Acupuncture is thought to assists those undergoing IVF in a number of ways:
- May assist with ovarian health
- May assist hormonal regulation
- May assist uterine health
- Help with emotional distress, anxiety and stress management
- May help reduce uterine contraction
- Help manage the side effects of drugs used in IVF
- May help to promote successful implantation
- May assist sperm quality
IVF Support Program
There are several phases of the IVF, IUI, ICSI program where acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine may assist. The treatment program is designed to suite your individual circumstance and is relevant to the insemination program you are undertaking and the appropriate acupuncture IVF support phases shall be included or excluded as required.
Treatment Phases (please see IVF Support page for detail description)
- Preparation for IVF Phase
- Stimulation Phase – Ovarian stimulation phase
- Day of Egg Collection – Post egg collection treatment
- Embryo Transfer – Pre/Post treatment
- Post Embryo Transfer Support
Although treatment programs are specifically designed for the individual, there are several aspects of the IVF support program that are structured in accordance to the latest scientific research.